We’re proud to announce that we’ve earned our gold Sustainability at Work certification from the City of Portland!
This is truly an honor for us. It reflects several years of hard work by the members of our Green Team, who have worked closely with our sustainability advisor at the City to make green improvements that reduce our carbon footprint.
In 2015, we earned our silver certification—meaning we’d completed a minimum of 25 actions out of a possible 65. To make the jump from silver to gold, we needed to make another 20 operational changes.
Recent progress has included:
- Installing motion-sensing lights that turn off automatically
- Purchasing carbon offsets
- Switching to long-life LED lights where possible
- Conducting quarterly waste audits to make sure employees are properly disposing of garbage, recyclables, and food
- Composting our food scraps and coffee grounds
- Adopting the use of green cleaning products and soaps
- Conducting an annual commuting survey
Of course, there is always more we can do. Because GSI serves a large geographic area from five offices on the West Coast, with many projects that require site visits and field work, our carbon footprint is not small. The Green Team continues to lead us through improvements and changes—some big and some small—because every effort to protect our planet helps. Next up: converting to smart power strips to reduce phantom energy loss.